Finding the Freelance Clients You Deserve
An online course for freelancers who are ready to succeed
Do you struggle to get high-paying clients and build a stable, successful freelance business?
This isn’t your fault.
If you’re like most freelancers, you never had a chance to learn about marketing. You know you need to do it, but probably don’t know where to start or what to do. Or maybe you know a little about marketing but hate doing it.
And you’re overwhelmed by all of the advice out there—much of which doesn’t work for freelancers or is more than you need to do.
Find the Freelance Clients You Deserve
You can find clients who pay you what you’re worth, give you steady work, and treat you right.
You can build a stable, high-income freelance business.
Finding the Freelance Clients You Deserve will teach you how.
Do What Works Best for Freelancers
My online course is based on the proven, step-by-step process that helped me build a 6-figure freelance business in 18 months—and hundreds of other freelancers get the clients they deserve. It gives you a clear path to freelance success.
And you’ll do only what you need to do—because Finding the Freelance Clients You Deserve focuses on what works best for freelancers.
Create a Stable, Money-Making Business
Whether you’re a new, aspiring, or experienced freelancer, this 7-week online course will help you create a stable, money-making business by:
- Finding or refining your specialty
- Understanding the needs of your ideal clients
- Developing a strong prospect list
- Attracting great clients with an easy-to-use, free marketing tool
- Getting more referrals
- Getting more great clients with the key step most freelancers skip.
- 7 modules based on what works best for freelancers
- Examples, templates, tips, and other resources to help you apply the lessons
- Assignments that guide you through the steps you need to take to start getting the clients you deserve.
Study on Your Own or Get Personalized Coaching
Choose from 2 versions of the online course:
- Self-study, an economical way to get the knowledge you need to get the clients you deserve.
- Personalized coaching to guide you in getting the clients you deserve from a successful, seasoned freelancer.
What Freelancers Who’ve Taken My Course Say…
“Marketing will be a lot easier and less intimidating for me now that I know how to find clients who will pay me well to do the work I want to do.”
Freelance writer since 2016
“I no longer am floundering around all over the map trying to find clients to work with. I now have a plan of attack.”
Kathleen Labonge, MBA
Write Point Editing Solutions
Freelance medical copyeditor since 2015
“Unlike other businesses coaches who make outlandish promises to lure unsuspecting students, Lori never shied away from emphasizing that, if you put in the work, you’ll get the results you want and deserve.”
Oki Dzivenu, DPhil, ELS
Exquisite Medical Scribe, LLC
Freelance medical writer since 2017
“Focusing on the perspective of clients and what they need was really important and a new way to look at things.”
Debbie (Deborah) Anderson, PhD
DGA Medical Communications
Freelance medical writer and instructional designer since 2012
“Taking the course forced me to focus on marketing and helped me to clarify more effective ways to reach my ideal clients.”
Freelance writer and editor since 1995
“The course helped me do things I have long intended to do. I needed both a pep talk and guidance in getting organized and proceeding systematically.”
Freelance science and medical writer since 2007
“Lori’s course was the kick in the pants I needed to think seriously about my business and where I want to take it. She provided the step-by-step marketing guide to make that happen.”
Kristina Wasson-Blader, PhD, ELS
Clearly Communicating Science
Freelance medical writer and editor since 2003
“I feel much more confident that I will be able to locate clients that need my services and engage them now”
Erik MacLaren, PhD
Galen Medical Writing
Freelance medical writer since 2013
“This course has helped me to find my direction and given me the tools to feel confident about my future.”
Freelance medical writer and editor since 2014
“Lots of marketing resources for freelancers offer big-picture marketing strategy without any specifics. Lori De Milto’s course gave me the nitty-gritty answers I have been looking for, making marketing my business less intimidating and less frustrating.”
Blue Heron Writing & Editing
Freelance writer and editor since 2014
“I was in a fairly good spot, but could not see a way to improve where I was. This course and Lori’s mentoring gave me more confidence than I ever thought possible and helped me seize an amazing number of opportunities.”
Eva Stabenow, CT (EN-DE)
Wordplay Translations, LLC
Freelance translator and conference interpreter since 1995
“This course breaks down the intimidating concept of marketing into easy-to-follow lessons. I highly recommend this course for anyone looking to improve their marketing skills.
Melanie Lawler, PhD
Freelance medical writer since 2010
What You Get to Help You Find the Clients You Deserve
The online course has 7 modules. Each module comes with:
- Video lessons
- PDF module transcript
- Assignments to guide you through the steps of doing what the module covers
- Handouts with templates, examples, and resources.
Self-Study Version of the Online Course
Learn what you need to know to find and reach the right clients and apply what you’re learning by doing the assignments on your own.
Personalized Coaching Version of the Online Course
Along with the modules, lessons, assignments, and handouts, you get:
- Personal guidance on getting the clients you deserve, based on YOUR business, goals, challenges, etc.
- Marketing Review #1: A written review near the start of the course of your business, LinkedIn profile, website, etc. with marketing suggestions
- Written review of 4 key assignments
- 2 conference calls (up to 45-minutes each) to discuss your progress, answer your questions, and offer guidance
- Marketing Review #2: A written review of your progress during the course with suggestions for next steps so you continue to make progress
- Answers to questions about marketing your business via email.
Coaching Gives Freelancers Answers and Confidence
“A few weeks of Lori’s personal coaching and exercise review is worth more than years of reading books and taking other online courses. Why go through the agony of trying to figure it out yourself when Lori can provide the answers?”
Freelance medical writer and editor since 2014
“Getting feedback from an expert like Lori through individualized exercise review and one-on-one coaching is invaluable.”
Blue Heron Writing & Editing
Freelance writer and editor since 2014
“Lori’s coaching helped me develop an effective marketing strategy that has put my freelancing business on a path to greater success. I am grateful to Lori for sharing her experience and breadth of marketing knowledge.”
Jennifer Kelly Shepphird, PhD
JKS Science & Medical Writing, LLC
Will the Online Course Work for Me?
Yes, if you’re willing to put in the time and effort. The course will help you position your business to get the clients you deserve and move toward doing this. But if you’re looking for an easy, effortless way to get great clients instantly, then the course isn’t for you.
7 Weeks to Results
You can complete the course in 7 weeks, but you don’t have to. If you have a big deadline for a client coming up, it’s okay to go slower. The key is to keep making progress toward getting the clients you deserve.
Both students who’ve completed the online course in 7 weeks and those who’ve needed extra time are seeing results—sometimes while they’re still taking the course. For example, more clients are finding them on LinkedIn, responding positively to their marketing, and hiring them.
Coaching (in the coaching version) is available for 4 weeks after the course end date.
Next Online Course Starts in January 2019
Self-Study Course: $297
Personalized Coaching Course: $697
Click here for free resources and priority notice when the course opens again.
Need Help But Not Ready to Take a Course?
Get much of the same content in the course in my book, 7 Steps to High-Income Freelancing: Get the clients you deserve. Like the course, the book gives you a proven, step-by-step process to follow. The book doesn’t have the course’s exercises, templates, examples, and resources.
Online Course Modules
Modules, lessons, exercises, and handouts are the same for the personalized coaching and self-study versions of the 7-week online course.
Module 1. Choosing Your Money-Making Specialty(ies)
Specializing is the fastest, easiest way to get great clients. Already specialize? Find out if you’ve chosen a money-making specialty(ies)—and how to switch your focus if you haven’t. Even if you already have a strong specialty, you’ll learn how to focus it more to get great clients.
- Find and assess freelance opportunities in different specialties
- Choose or refine your money-making specialty(ies)
- Prepare to get great clients in your specialty(ies)
Module 2. Finding the Right Prospects
Get high-paying clients who treat you right by choosing who you want to work with and developing a prospect list.
- Choose your ideal clients
- Find the right people to target within each organization
- Get the hard-to-find contact information you need to reach the right people
Module 3. Reaching and Attracting Prospects with Direct Email
Get the attention of your prospects and persuade them to hire you with direct email that shows you’re an expert who understands their needs.
- Show your expertise and understanding of client needs
- Write direct email copy that prospects will read
- Start to build relationships with prospects and get clients
Module 4. Attracting Clients with LinkedIn
Attract clients once you’ve got their attention with direct email and stand out from the crowd when clients search LinkedIn for a freelancer.
- Write a client-focused LinkedIn profile
- Attract attention and get found with a client-focused headline and summary
- Include the key content
Module 5. Attracting Clients with Your Website
Attract the high-paying clients you deserve with your client-focused freelance website.
- Do less marketing because your website will pre-sell and pre-qualify clients
- Develop a client-focused website with compelling content and a remarkable home page
- Use an engaging design that’s visually engaging and clear
Module 6. Meeting People Who Can Help and Hire You
Get more referrals — the easiest way to grow your freelance business — from colleagues, meet clients, and learn about freelance opportunities by building a strategic network.
- Get more referrals by building a strategic network
- Discover the attitude that makes networking less stressful and more effective
- Learn how to network in person and online
Module 7. Being in the Right Place when Clients Need a Freelancer
Up to 90% of the time, prospects aren’t ready to hire a freelancer when you first contact them. Make sure that prospects, colleagues, and clients think of you first for freelance work by staying in touch with them regularly.
- Get top-of-mind-awareness so prospects and clients think of you first when they need a freelancer and colleagues think of you first when they have work to refer
- Develop a targeted follow-up list of your best prospects, clients, and colleagues
- Plan your effective, efficient targeted follow-up strategy